When it comes to online advertising, Google Ads is often the first platform that comes to mind. It’s powerful, versatile, and when executed correctly, it can provide a significant return on investment. Want to get more conversions out of your Google Ads campaigns? Here are the top 10 best practices to follow:
1. Keyword Research:
- Why it matters: Every successful Google Ads campaign starts with effective keyword research.
- How to do it: Use tools like Google’s Keyword Planner to discover high-volume, relevant keywords related to your product or service.
- Quick Tip: Don’t overlook long-tail keywords. They might have less search volume, but they’re often less competitive and highly specific.
2. Structured Ad Groups:
- Why it matters: A structured campaign allows for targeted ads and can improve your Quality Score.
- How to do it: Group related keywords together into tight-knit ad groups.
- Quick Tip: Make sure each ad group focuses on a singular theme or topic.
3. Compelling Ad Copy:
- Why it matters: Your ad copy is your first point of contact with potential customers.
- How to do it: Write clear, concise, and enticing ads that highlight your unique selling proposition.
- Quick Tip: Use a strong call-to-action (CTA) to encourage clicks.
4. Optimize Landing Pages:
- Why it matters: Sending users to a relevant, well-designed landing page can significantly boost conversions.
- How to do it: Ensure the content on your landing page matches the promise of your ad. Reduce loading times and make the page mobile-friendly.
- Quick Tip: Include a clear CTA on your landing page to guide users towards conversion.
5. Use Ad Extensions:
- Why it matters: Ad extensions provide additional information and can increase the visibility of your ads.
- How to do it: Add relevant extensions like call buttons, location details, or additional site links.
- Quick Tip: Use sitelink extensions to direct users to specific pages of your website.
6. Negative Keywords:
- Why it matters: Filtering out irrelevant keywords can prevent wasteful spending.
- How to do it: Regularly review your campaign’s search terms report to identify and exclude irrelevant terms.
- Quick Tip: Start with a basic list of negative keywords when you launch your campaign and refine as you go.
7. Adjust Bids for Devices:
- Why it matters: Not all devices convert at the same rate.
- How to do it: Review device performance in your campaign stats. Increase bids for devices that perform well, and decrease for those that don’t.
- Quick Tip: Don’t forget to consider the user experience on different devices, especially mobile.
8. Schedule Your Ads:
- Why it matters: Your target audience might be more active during certain times of the day or days of the week.
- How to do it: Use ad scheduling to show your ads during peak times and avoid low-performing periods.
- Quick Tip: Test different schedules to find the most effective times for your audience.
- Why it matters: Targeting users in specific locations can improve relevancy and conversion rates.
- How to do it: Use location targeting to show ads to users in specific cities, regions, or countries.
- Quick Tip: Consider using radius targeting around your physical store locations.
10. Regularly Review & Optimize:
- Why it matters: Continuous monitoring and optimization can enhance performance over time.
- How to do it: Regularly check campaign analytics, test different ad variations, and refine based on performance.
- Quick Tip: Set aside dedicated time each week to review and adjust your campaigns.
Achieving success with Google Ads is not just about setting up a campaign and hoping for the best. It requires a strategic approach, regular monitoring, and ongoing optimization. By implementing these best practices, you’ll be on your way to increased conversions and a better return on your advertising spend. Happy advertising!